Off Road (OHV)

Dirt roads and trails left from the pioneer days ribbon through southern Utah’s landscape making for some of the best off road (OHV) riding in the state. There are over 400 miles designated trails in the high mountain passes of the Dixie National Forest area of the Markagunt Plateau and nearly 500 miles of trails to be designated near Parowan Gap by 2017. Three Peaks Recreation Area west of Cedar City is becoming famous with 4 x 4 rock crawlers.

OHVs (Off Highway Vehicles) include any snowmobile, ATV, motorcycle, or other off-highway vehicles capable of travel over unimproved terrain. Only registered OHVs may be operated on public lands or roads that are signed or designated as open to OHV use. Do not operate your OHV on private land without the owner’s permission.

Responsible OHV Use

Utah’s off-highway vehicle (OHV) laws and rules promote safety and protection for people, property, and the environment. While being operated or transported on public lands or roads, OHVs must display a current OHV registration sticker. Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal, if they are safety inspected and insured, or as off-highway vehicles.

Obtain registration from the local Utah Division of Motor Vehicles. If you are a nonresident visiting Utah, please go to this website:

Who can operate OHVs on public lands or roads?

No one under eight years of age may operate an OHV on public roads, trails, or lands. Drivers from eight to 15 years of age must possess an OHV education certificate issued by the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation. Drivers 16 years of age and older must possess a valid driver’s license or an OHV education certificate.

Education certificates will be issued to anyone eight years old and older who completes the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation OHV education course or passes an OHV knowledge and skills test. Contact the Division for Education information at (800) OHV-RIDE.

What about helmets?

Properly-fitted, safety-rated helmets must be worn by OHV drivers and passengers under 18 years of age. All drivers and passengers of any age should wear protective head gear.

Other OHV laws
  • Ride only in areas designated as open to OHVs.
  • Ride on the right side of the road and in single file
  • Be alert to oncoming traffic, especially on blind curves or in dips and on hill crests
  • It is illegal to drive an OHV while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • A brightly colored “whip flag” must be attached to OHVs when riding in sand dune areas.
  • Lights must be used between sunset and sunrise.
  • Be sure your brakes will control and stop your OHV.
  • Mufflers are required on all OHVs.


The Cedar Mountain Snowmobile Complex offers over 160 miles of pristine snowmobile trails and wide open play areas. Ample snow and winter access to some of America’s most unique scenery makes this one of Utah’s most appealing snowmobiling areas. Access the complex from the Brian Head, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Navajo Lake or Duck Creek trail-heads. The Utah Division of Parks and Recreation maintain most of the trails in the Cedar Mountain Complex and provide an info line for up-to-date conditions.
(800) 648-7433 (Utah only) |

Must See & Do

Three Peaks

Iron County and the Bureau of Land Management have teamed up to develop the Three Peaks Recreation Area west of Cedar City. The rolling hills and volcanic rock formations at Three Peaks provide a fantastic location for picnicking, camping, bike riding and off- road vehicle use.
(435 )867-7329 |

Emergency Numbers



Utah Highway Patrol

(435) 586-9445

Iron County Sheriff

(435) 867-7500

Kane County Sheriff

(435) 644-2349

Garfield County Sheriff

(435) 676-2678

Report A Fire

(435) 865-4600

Poaching Hotline

(800) 662-DEER

Forest Service Law Enforcement

(435) 865-3200